Tuesday, August 25, 2009

My Dreams Have No Barriers

I've decided I'm going to try to start writing on here on a more regular basis... What should I write about today? I need inspiration. I love this classical music I'm listening to on my J.S. Bach station, but it's just not very inspirational. Perhaps I'll switch to a different station (maybe even one that has words on it). Ah, that's better! Let's blog!

"I often miss this little girl… whose dreams had no barriers… who believed in a world where anything is possible; with a heart that was full and unbroken." I found this quote on post secret quite a while ago & it seems I go back & look at it at least once a week. I relate to it as if I'd even said it myself (which of course I didn't). Since I was a little kid I can always remember my parents telling me I could do anything I wanted to do; I never had a practical dream. I wanted to be an artist, then an author, a singer, a beluga whale trainer, and early in high school I decided I wanted to be a dancer. But before I could even start to get my dream off the ground, the realization that becoming a dancer wasn't a practical plan for my future changed all of my plans towards the end of high school.

I think that's one of the biggest part of growing up. You get to the point where you stop dreaming and start to think about what's practical. I guess I've gotten half way there. I took a step back after I didn't make the dance program at my college & decided that I should try a more practical route. Dance therapy would allow me to still be a part of the dance world while being able to have a rooted job. However, I've gotten to the point that I'm starting to think that that's not even a practical enough route to take anymore. In this economy who's going to spend money on a dance therapist? Plus, after because of this back surgery I don't know if I'll ever be able to dance again.

The pressure from my parents and everyone around me tells me I should change my plans completely and opt for a job with more stability and a bigger market. I've often thought about it, but then I look back at that little girl who dreamed about having the world. The girl that thought nothing else mattered as long as she was doing what she was passionate about. The little girl that thought nothing could touch her. I need to fulfill at least this part of my dream to keep that little girl from screaming at me, "What are you doing!? Why did you quit!? You should never give up your dreams!"

It kills me to think about all the talented people I know that are opting out for the safe route. I can't be that person too. No one should ever give up their dreams until they know that they will fail at them... and you know maybe you shouldn't even give up on them then. Our parents tell us we can do anything we want; they never really believe that we could, though. So, I'm not giving up on this dream! Others I will someday be able to let go. I must let them go in order to be able to pursue this dream.

For now I'll just let this little girl remind me where I'm heading. I'm heading to a wide open world with endless possibilities. Anything could happen for me at this point & I'm loving it!

1 comment:

  1. ...You speak from my heart!!
    I´m glad that i´ve found that!
    Greetings from Germany!

    ReplyDelete